Improving Lives Since 1888
Since 1888 The Western and Southern Life Insurance Company (Western & Southern Life) – a member of Western & Southern Financial Group, Inc. (Western & Southern) – has helped individuals and institutions protect what matters most with our solid financial products and vision for the future.
A Heritage of Success
- William John Williams, Western & Southern Life's principal founder, sold the first life insurance policy in 1888 for a weekly premium of 31 cents.
- Our original office of life insurance agents at The Western and Southern Life Insurance Company in Cincinnati has evolved into a family of companies that operates in all 50 states with more than 3,600 employees and approximately 49,000 financial services professionals who are contracted to sell Western & Southern Financial Group member companies' products and services.
Financial Strength & Stability
Western & Southern is:
- A Fortune 500 company.
- One of the strongest life insurance groups in the world.
- Recognized for our financial strength by our Comdex score. Our life insurance companies have a combined Comdex Ranking of 96 – meaning that their financial strength ratings outrank 96 percent of the 500 largest life and health insurance companies in the U.S. (Lafayette Life is not rated by Moody's and has a 97 Comdex Ranking.)
- The parent company of a group of diversified financial services businesses (including Western & Southern Life). Its assets owned (more than $42 billion) and managed ($24 billion) total more than $66 billion as of Dec. 31, 2015.
- Proud to have reached a GAAP net worth of $7.5 billion on December 31, 2014, up from $7.1 billion at the end of 2013.
- In 2014, Western & Southern, its associates and its corporate foundation gave $9.6 million in donations and sponsorships primarily throughout the Greater Cincinnati region.
- Western & Southern is the title sponsor of the Western & Southern Open tennis tournament, one of only five events in the world, outside of the Grand Slams, to host a top-tier men's and women's event during the same week at the same venue. Additionally, in 2014, it had a regional economic impact estimated at $48.7 million.
Helping Protect Families' Futures
- Western & Southern member companies offer a comprehensive range of financial options, including life insurance, annuities, mutual funds, and investment management services.
- Western & Southern Life offers our Financial Representatives important opportunities to make personal connections with middle-market families.